Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Follow-up on Hedging



Follow-up on Hedging

On April 9th I posted a piece on how I was hedging my investment portfolio to manage my risk in the market place. I had bought an ETF on the NYSE (RWM) that shorts the Russell 2000 about two weeks before I wrote that post.

I am now down just over 11 percent on that investment. In hindsight I regret making that move as it has cost me money in the in term.  However at the time I didn’t have the benefit of hindsight. I was facing an unknowable future and felt that risk was elevated in the marketplace. Looking back I now feel I put it on a little early.

So what do I do now? My feeling is that the underlying market is continuing to weaken under the surface of the market indexes. Market tops are like that. They can continue to go up, caught up in their own momentum and mathematics.The underlying breadth of the market (momentum of breadth) is weakening even as the major indexes continue their upward move. There is also some market rotation going on as the big money shifts its positions around. I'm going to hold on to my short for now and re-evaluate later on down the road. 

This is typical of the type of decisions an investor will have to make. Faced with the uncertainty of an unknowable future he will have to make a determination as of what to do based on the present market environment. If his decision doesn't work out, he shouldn't beat himself up over it. Its just part of the game of investing and dealing with a future where anything can happen. Right now my 'short' is still a 'work in progress'. As I feel the market continues to weaken I will hold on to my short and wait. Learning how to wait is a big part of investing.

No comments:

Post a Comment