Search This Blog

Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Recap of Stock Ideas



A Recap of Stock Ideas
         
The first question you should ask yourself before you invest in anything is…what can I lose (risk)? Only after that has been addressed should you consider what you can make (potential reward).

Four of the five stock ideas I came up with were derived from my stock scan of the Canadian market on July 8th. I scanned the Canadian market for both value and quality. I also wanted some growth as it is difficult to create value over time without growth, so I looked at the stock’s 3 year revenue growth rate after the scan was complete. By insisting on focusing on value I hopefully built a certain margin of safety into my investing process. It’s a good habit to get into.

I think I came up with some interesting investment ideas…a manufacturer and supplier of wire products, an exploration and development drilling company serving the mining industry, a supplier of components to the aerospace industry and an oil and gas services company.

Gigamon stands apart from the rest of my stock ideas as it is an emerging growth story from the US market. A different type of company both in its life cycle and the nature of business it is in. I got that investment idea from a different source. As it is an emerging growth company there will be more risk but potentially more reward as well if one was to invest in it. Investing in the stocks of public companies can be a varied menu.

This was a helpful exercise for me. In sifting through and selecting the stocks of my scan I decided to write my thoughts down in permanent form. There is something about writing your thoughts and investigations down on paper (cyberspace). They take on a tangible form and materialize in your physical world. It is something you can refer back to, instead of losing your thoughts to the vagaries of time and memory.

I'll check back in on these stocks from time to time to see how they are faring. I currently own one of them, High Arctic Energy Services, which I bought in March of 2016.







No comments:

Post a Comment