Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Thoughts on Creating an Investment Portfolio



Thoughts on Creating an Investment Portfolio

Sometimes I look with wonder on my investment portfolio. I created it. It came out of me and is an extension of myself. It represents my opinion as opposed to the opinion of others. It is a part of me. I look at it bobbing and weaving up and down everyday like a cork floating on a great ocean. I shouldn’t look at it everyday but I do. Every weekend I record how my portfolio did for the week. I love the markets and have integrated them into my lifestyle. But that’s me. Everybody will be different. Many people will recommend that you should for the most part ignore it. That’s probably good advice but in the end you will have to hone your own investment style from everything you have read and experienced in the market.

I hold three limited partnerships from Brookfield over here and over there a have several smaller growth companies. I’ve got some solid mid cap growth firms and some pharma stocks. In all I hold 22 positions but not equally weighted. I plan on reducing that number in the future. I usually hold little cash in my portfolio. It would have been nice to have it on hand during this last market correction but you learn as you go along. The thing I really like about my portfolio is that I know I have my money invested in productive assets based on my own judgement and experience. I think that sets me apart from most other people and I like that idea.

There are many roads to Rome when it comes to investing. Everything I have talked about so far represents my basic investment philosophy, my investment policy. But it doesn’t have to be yours. If you are interested in investing for yourself, I encourage you to read about it first and when you feel you are ready to test the waters, start small and get use to the idea of having some of your money at risk in the market.





No comments:

Post a Comment